Sunday, December 30, 2007

New Year’s Resolutions and Gift-Giving

You found the new cell phone you’ve been dying for under the Christmas tree but it hasn’t changed your life. Your father-in-law doesn’t love you more because you gave him a new television (well he did, but it didn’t last long.) You’ve resolved to buy less junk in 2008.

Then you’re ready for Ann Leonard’s video, “The Story of Stuff” about the problems inherent in the materials economy. Its fun – all the theory is disguised in easy explanations and there are even some fascinating facts to make you think (one to pique your interest: 1% of all products sold in the U.S. are in use 6 months after purchase, i.e., the other 99% is already trash!)

Why are you reading about this in a blog about shopping? I found it in Shifting Careers, Marci Alboher’s blog at the New York Times, when I was looking for something to offer as an antidote to the shopping hangover we all get at this time of year so that you know that we know that no matter where you shop you can’t buy happiness.

No comments: